Author Topic: New Horizon's - Command Area.  (Read 54326 times)

Offline Game Master 1

• View Profile
New Horizon's - Command Area.
« on: June 04, 2017, 01:50:20 PM »
The USS Horizon is currently in Spacedock and in a low power state.  She is scheduled to launch in 3 days and is currently undergoing the last of her pre-launch checks.

Offline William Hunter

• View Profile
Re: New Horizon's - Command Area.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 02:02:13 PM »
The turbolift doors parted allowing Hunter to step out of the cubicle and onto the bridge of his new command.  He stopped for a moment and observed the spacious command module, technicians were hard at work, making the final tweaks to the new vessel's performance.  She had successfully completed her shakedown cruise a week prior and had performed very well, the only things that had been brought to light were system glitches and some sluggishness in the control systems.

"Captain."  A voice said to Bill's left.

The Captain looked towards the young Engineer, who stood silently and held a padd out.  "Thank you Ensign."  He said taking the padd and reading yet another report.  Since the end of the war, that seemed to be his life, sign for this or sign for that and what colour carpets do you want.  The report detailed the work that had been carried out, it looked to be in order and earned the Commanding officers thumb print.  "Carry on Ensign."

"Thank you Sir."  The younger man said, before heading off to carry out other duties.

Hunter took a moment and observed the people on his bridge, all of them looked like children to him, or like children compared to him at least.  The wore had been costly and many of the fleets seasoned officers were gone, thus pushing the young ones into senior positions before their time. 

Captain William 'Bill' Hunter
Commanding Officer
USS Horizon

Offline Christian Grix

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 02:12:03 PM »
Grix was sat at the helm station familiarising himself with the console and the layout of the bridge. While he could he was also taking the opportunity to program in some of his favourite manoeuvres.

As the lift doors opened he turned and looked at the man who walked onto the bridge. Apart from his parents mentioning Hunter when he told them of his assignment he had no idea what to expect but if both his parents said Hunter was a good Captain then Christian had no reason to doubt that,

"Welcome aboard Sir, Lt jg Grix reporting". He stood as he spoke and waited for permission to carry on.

Lt Cmdr Christian Grix
Chief of Operations
USS Horizon

Offline Joshua Shepard

• Commanding Officer USS Gibson
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 02:25:46 PM »
Josh just arrived after beaming on board from the station. He was impressed by the size of this new ship. He studied on the schematics of the Prometheus class. This class used to be able to seperate in battle but it was deemed to dangerous as it caused several system errors. It is now to be used as a lifeboat in the event of an emergency.

Josh walked out and headed to the turbolift. "Bridge." He said and the turbolift began moving. Less than a minute later he arrived and the doors opened. He stepped on the bridge and saw a young lieutenant jg standing at the helm station at full attention obviously the man he was talking to was the captain. Josh waited for the captain to acknowledge the young lieutenant before Josh would make his presence known so he didn't interrupt them.

Captain Joshua Shepard
Commanding Officer
USS Gibson

Offline William Hunter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 02:45:53 PM »
Hunter took a step towards the command chair, he ran his hand across the back of it and felt the nice smooth feeling of the blue material.  He looked towards the front right console, as the officer who was at it stood up and announced himself.  The first thing of note was the man's hairstyle and the stubble that covered his chin like a rash.  Neither projected the image of an officer to him and he was about to make that clear.

"Grix, I know the name from somewhere.  However what I don't know is where you think you are Lieutenant?  This is not a band  groupie, you are an officer and I expect you to look like one."  Every word was delivered without flinching and his tone was firm and to the point.  At that point he heard the turbolift doors open again, Bill looked over his shoulder and noticed another officer in red, that one displayed three pips on his collar.  "Commander Shepard I presume?  I will be with you in a moment."  The Captain said turning back to the Junior Lieutenant.

Commanding Officer
USS Horizon

Offline Joshua Shepard

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 02:59:44 PM »
Hunter took a step towards the command chair, he ran his hand across the back of it and felt the nice smooth feeling of the blue material.  He looked towards the front right console, as the officer who was at it stood up and announced himself.  The first thing of note was the man's hairstyle and the stubble that covered his chin like a rash.  Neither projected the image of an officer to him and he was about to make that clear.

"Grix, I know the name from somewhere.  However what I don't know is where you think you are Lieutenant?  This is not a band  groupie, you are an officer and I expect you to look like one."  Every word was delivered without flinching and his tone was firm and to the point.  At that point he heard the turbolift doors open again, Bill looked over his shoulder and noticed another officer in red, that one displayed three pips on his collar.  "Commander Shepard I presume?  I will be with you in a moment."  The Captain said turning back to the Junior Lieutenant.

Josh listened to the captain dress down the young lieutenant at the helm. Then he turned to acknowledge Josh's arrival on the bridge. He was about to confirm his identity when the captain turned back around.

Captain Joshua Shepard
Commanding Officer
USS Gibson

Offline Christian Grix

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 03:02:01 PM »
Grix felt the familiar feeling in his stomach as his hair was commented on. "Sir I understand your comment but I have been told that since Klingon's became members of the fleet we are allowed to have longer hair to avoid discrimination". He knew that some Captains did not approve of the rule so added "However i intend to get it cut and have a shave i just haven't had time since I arrived from Earth, I have been working on the flight systems".

This was true as he was coming to the end of his second 16 hour stint since he arrived 48 hours ago.

Lt Cmdr Christian Grix
Chief of Operations
USS Horizon

Offline KnodwI Shepard

• Chief Engineer
  • legh alive tu'lu'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 03:43:53 PM »
The turbolift doors opened to see a Lt. Commander in a gold uniform enter the bridge.   The new chief engineer stepped onto the bridge to check it out.  The bridge was massive compared to Sovereign Class vessels.   He noticed the First Officer, noting that his brother was there.   KnodwI made his way down towards the Captain.

Chief Engineer, Lt. Commander Shepard reporting for duty Sir.

The Klingon stood at attention until the Captain responds back.

Commander KnodwI Shepard
Chief Engineer
USS Gibson

Offline William Hunter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 04:07:56 PM »
Hunter wasn't impressed with the cocky Helmsman, the fact was the man looked scruffy to him.  The Captain folded his arms across his chest and arched an eyebrow at Grix.  "That maybe Lieutenant, but we still have to look professional and you simply do not.  And just how long have you been on duty?"

The bridge was fast becoming busy, someone else entered behind the Captain, who in turn turned to see the Klingon officer.  There was no guessing who he was, William offered the man a nod and turned back briefly to Josh and hoped he was taking in what his new Captain expected of the crew.

Commanding Officer
USS Horizon

Offline Joshua Shepard

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 04:19:35 PM »
The turbolift doors opened to see a Lt. Commander in a gold uniform enter the bridge.   The new chief engineer stepped onto the bridge to check it out.  The bridge was massive compared to Sovereign Class vessels.   He noticed the First Officer, noting that his brother was there.   KnodwI made his way down towards the Captain.

Chief Engineer, Lt. Commander Shepard reporting for duty Sir.

The Klingon stood at attention until the Captain responds back.

Josh saw the orders of all the crew personnel and he was still in shock when his brother of all people was listed as their Chief Engineer, so it didn't surprise him much When he saw Knodwl come onto the bridge. Josh quickly patted his brother on the shoulder but didn't say anything.

Hunter wasn't impressed with the cocky Helmsman, the fact was the man looked scruffy to him.  The Captain folded his arms across his chest and arched an eyebrow at Grix.  "That maybe Lieutenant, but we still have to look professional and you simply do not.  And just how long have you been on duty?"

The bridge was fast becoming busy, someone else entered behind the Captain, who in turn turned to see the Klingon officer.  There was no guessing who he was, William offered the man a nod and turned back briefly to Josh and hoped he was taking in what his new Captain expected of the crew.

Josh looked dead into the captain's eyes and knew what he expected. Every captain runs their ship differently. Josh was the same way although he has been known to let them relax but in off duty hours.

Captain Joshua Shepard
Commanding Officer
USS Gibson

Offline Christian Grix

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2017, 05:48:48 PM »

"No.excuses sir and in answer to your question 15 hours today sit and 17 yesterday" Grix didn't lime.to make.excuses and he was.determimed to have everything working by the time they left spacedock.

"The chief doesn't arrive into.tomorrow so.ive been trying to get everything reafy" was his honest answer

Lt Cmdr Christian Grix
Chief of Operations
USS Horizon

Offline William Hunter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2017, 07:29:02 PM »
While waiting for the Lieutenant to answer, William heard what sounded like a slapping noise to his right.  He turned his head to the right and saw Josh's hand coming away from the Klingon officer, it clearly wasn't a case of assault, more a case of familiarity.  Then it occurred to him about their surnames, though Shepard was a peculiar name for a Klingon.  No doubt he would or could find out if he cared to do so.

Grix answered the question, he'd worked 31 hours in two days, his reasoning was to have things ready for the Flight chief.  However the ship was still in dock and there were others who could make her ready.  "Lieutenant, as much as I appreciate your dedication to duty.  I don't want my officers to be fighting fatigue at a crucial moment."  With his right hand the Captain pointed to the deck.  "We are still in Spacedock and as such there are others who could perform those tasks."  Hunter took a breath.  "Here's what you are going to do, you will now go to the mess hall and get something to eat.  You will then retire to your quarters and you will then sleep for at minimum for eight hours and not more than ten.  After which you will shower, shave and make yourself look like a Starfleet officer."

Hunter turned to Cmdr Shepard.  "Commander, you will accompany Mr Grix off the bridge and you will make certain he carries out what I have ordered."

Commanding Officer
USS Horizon

Offline Joshua Shepard

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2017, 08:26:06 PM »
While waiting for the Lieutenant to answer, William heard what sounded like a slapping noise to his right.  He turned his head to the right and saw Josh's hand coming away from the Klingon officer, it clearly wasn't a case of assault, more a case of familiarity.  Then it occurred to him about their surnames, though Shepard was a peculiar name for a Klingon.  No doubt he would or could find out if he cared to do so.

Grix answered the question, he'd worked 31 hours in two days, his reasoning was to have things ready for the Flight chief.  However the ship was still in dock and there were others who could make her ready.  "Lieutenant, as much as I appreciate your dedication to duty.  I don't want my officers to be fighting fatigue at a crucial moment."  With his right hand the Captain pointed to the deck.  "We are still in Spacedock and as such there are others who could perform those tasks."  Hunter took a breath.  "Here's what you are going to do, you will now go to the mess hall and get something to eat.  You will then retire to your quarters and you will then sleep for at minimum for eight hours and not more than ten.  After which you will shower, shave and make yourself look like a Starfleet officer."

Hunter turned to Cmdr Shepard.  "Commander, you will accompany Mr Grix off the bridge and you will make certain he carries out what I have ordered."

Josh was a little shocked, hell he hasn't officially reported in yet. "Aye sir, I'll take care of it. Here's my orders sir." Josh then handed him a PADD containing his orders. Josh then looked over at a young ensign in her back of the bridge. "Ensign take over the helm." Josh said to the relief helm officer. "Let's go lieutenant." As Josh watched Grix start to get up out of the chair Josh turned to the captain. "Sir this is Lieutenant Commander Knodwl Shepard or Chief Engineer." Josh then extended his arm signaling for Grix to head to the turbolift. Josh then followed closely behind him. The doors opened and stepped in. "Deck 10."

Inside the turbolift Josh looked at Grix. "lieutenant I must say your dedication is something that most officers lack however you do need to take care of yourself. Regulations states that while on active duty you must be properly groomed. That includes the hair on your head and facial hair. While starfleet does recognize other cultures and their beliefs there are amendments to include certain aspects into their appearance. The captain obviously follows this to the letter and to be honest I do as well." The turbolift opens and they walk out.

As they walk down the hall Josh begins talking again. "So besides that incident on the bridge how's the helm station looking? Any problems with it?" Josh said trying to ease any tension.

Captain Joshua Shepard
Commanding Officer
USS Gibson

Offline William Hunter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2017, 09:22:22 PM »
The Exec snapped to it right away and organised someone to take the helm, while at the same time passing the Captain his orders to report for duty.  Before he could look at them, Josh introduced the Klingon officer, not that it was completely necessary of course.  The Engineer had the distinction of being the only Klingon on the ship.

"Greetings Commander."  Hunter said with a nod to KnodwI. 

Bill's eye moved across to observe Grix, as Josh signalled for him to leave the bridge.  Before Grix could leave, Hunter raised his right hand and snagged the Lieutenant's arm gently.  "A word in the ear Lieutenant, I realise you aren't a Senior officer, but you are compared to some of the crew we have on board."  Hunter pointed towards the viewer.  "Once we're out there, we all represent the best in Starfleet and of course the Federation, I will not stand for anybody letting the side down.  I trust we are clear on that matter?"  He then released Grix and waved him off in the direction of the turbolift.

Commanding Officer
USS Horizon

Offline KnodwI Shepard

• Chief Engineer
  • legh alive tu'lu'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2017, 09:27:39 PM »
KnodwI had his service record PADD.  He handed it to the Captain.

It is a honor to serve with you Captain.  Your engine room shall run at or above efficiency.

He awaited his orders to return to the engine room.

Commander KnodwI Shepard
Chief Engineer
USS Gibson