Author Topic: New Horizon's - Medical Area.  (Read 6683 times)

Offline Game Master 1

• View Profile
New Horizon's - Medical Area.
« on: June 04, 2017, 01:50:56 PM »
The USS Horizon is currently in Spacedock and in a low power state.  She is scheduled to launch in 3 days and is currently undergoing the last of her pre-launch checks.

Offline Katelyn Carter

• View Profile
Re: New Horizon's - Medical Area.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 02:47:31 PM »
After getting her office in order, and a rather nice one at that as it even had a couch in it for power naps, Dr. Katelyn Carter, the Horizon's CMO, went out into the main sickbay to do the pre-launch assessment.

Her small medical team was already putting supplies away and making sure all medical equipment was calibrated and working optimally. This ship was smaller than other's the blonde pixie had posted on previously meaning they all had to chip in and work as a well organized and greased wheel. That is one thing Kate had never had trouble doing... getting her hands dirty so to speak even at her rank level. She preferred to be busy with bedside care making it a priority and not just pushing out reports and giving orders from behind a desk.

One thing Dr. Carter was in charge of was to make sure the crew were all up to date on their physicals as they were all coming from different previous assignments. There were a few officers that would be getting a notice from her to report to Sickbay for just that; the list would be forthcoming.

Lieutenant Commander Dr. Katelyn Carter
Chief Medical Officer
USS Horizon

Offline Charlotte Brown

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 03:01:13 PM »
After arriving on board the Horizon, Charlotte had immediately checked out the Science facilities in particularly the Astrometrics Lab and certainly hadn't been disappointed with what she had seen and looked forward to getting her hands on it properly. But that would have to wait for now as she'd been reminded of an overdue physical and as much as she didn't like them thought it was best to get it over and done with.

Stepping through the doors of Sickbay she soon spotted another officer in Teal and walked up to her " Lieutenant Ingram reporting for an overdue physical " she said in her soft Irish accent.

Lieutenant Commander Charlotte Brown
Chief Science Officer
USS Gibson

Offline Katelyn Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 04:17:49 PM »
After arriving on board the Horizon, Charlotte had immediately checked out the Science facilities in particularly the Astrometrics Lab and certainly hadn't been disappointed with what she had seen and looked forward to getting her hands on it properly. But that would have to wait for now as she'd been reminded of an overdue physical and as much as she didn't like them thought it was best to get it over and done with.

Stepping through the doors of Sickbay she soon spotted another officer in Teal and walked up to her " Lieutenant Ingram reporting for an overdue physical " she said in her soft Irish accent.

Kate had been recalibrating a biobed when the doors to Sickbay opened. Entering was another teal-colored officer, though this one was from the science department. The young woman approached the petite doctor and introduced herself.

"Good timing, Lieutenant," Kate smiled in a friendly fashion, then motioned for her to take a seat upon the biobed. "I just finished calibrating this one. I'm Doctor Carter, the Chief Medical Officer. If memory serves me correctly, you are the Chief Science Officer?" the golden blonde inquired as she reached for her medical tricorder.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 04:20:37 PM by Katelyn Carter »

Chief Medical Officer
USS Horizon

Offline Charlotte Brown

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 04:29:58 PM »
Kate had been recalibrating a biobed when the doors to Sickbay opened. Entering was another teal-colored officer, though this one was from the science department. The young woman approached the petite doctor and introduced herself.

"Good timing, Lieutenant," Kate smiled in a friendly fashion, then motioned for her to take a seat upon the biobed. "I just finished calibrating this one. I'm Doctor Carter, the Chief Medical Officer. If memory serves me correctly, you are the Chief Science Officer?" the golden blonde inquired as she reached for her medical tricorder.

Charlotte smiled when the Doctor spoke to her before motioning for her to take a seat on the newly calibrated bio bed. Now she was here and talking to someone friendly the prospect of a physical didn't seem so bad. " Definitely good timing, I'd just finished looking round the Main Science Lab when I got the reminder so came straight down" she replied as she sat down on the bio bed making herself as comfortable as possible.

" Pleased to meet you Dr Carter and yes I am " she said answering her question and it was good to meet another senior officer. This was Charlotte's first assignment since being promoted and she was looking forward to getting to know the ship and crew.

Chief Science Officer
USS Gibson

Offline Katelyn Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 06:19:48 PM »
Charlotte smiled when the Doctor spoke to her before motioning for her to take a seat on the newly calibrated bio bed. Now she was here and talking to someone friendly the prospect of a physical didn't seem so bad. " Definitely good timing, I'd just finished looking round the Main Science Lab when I got the reminder so came straight down" she replied as she sat down on the bio bed making herself as comfortable as possible.

" Pleased to meet you Dr Carter and yes I am " she said answering her question and it was good to meet another senior officer. This was Charlotte's first assignment since being promoted and she was looking forward to getting to know the ship and crew.

"Pleasure to meet you as well," Kate nodded, picking up on the fact that Charlotte was a bit nervous, but like who wasn't when getting picked on by the doctor.

"What is your sub-specialty in the Sciences?" she asked in a curious manner trying to keep things light, then raised the hand scanner up and began her exam of the CSO, moving it slowly and precisely over the vital areas in an organized pattern.

Chief Medical Officer
USS Horizon

Offline Charlotte Brown

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 06:29:14 PM »
"Pleasure to meet you as well," Kate nodded, picking up on the fact that Charlotte was a bit nervous, but like who wasn't when getting picked on by the doctor.

"What is your sub-specialty in the Sciences?" she asked in a curious manner trying to keep things light, then raised the hand scanner up and began her exam of the CSO, moving it slowly and precisely over the vital areas in an organized pattern.

Charlotte was glad of the distraction when Dr Carter began the examination ignoring the hand scanner as it passed over her. Her nerves around doctors stemmed from the accident she had as a teenager but she was learning to control them. " Stellarcartography mainly but I find all aspects of Science fascinating " she replied softly.

Chief Science Officer
USS Gibson

Offline Katelyn Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 07:30:48 PM »
Charlotte was glad of the distraction when Dr Carter began the examination ignoring the hand scanner as it passed over her. Her nerves around doctors stemmed from the accident she had as a teenager but she was learning to control them. " Stellarcartography mainly but I find all aspects of Science fascinating " she replied softly.

"Stellar cartography must be well stellar to study... sorry really no pun intended there," Kate chuckled softly as she finished up with the body scan. She put the hand scanner and medical tricorder down on the a side table, then picked up an instrument for a blood screening.

"If you'll extend your arm out for me please and push up your sleeve a bit, I'll just grab a small amount of your blood... You shouldn't feel a thing other than pressure at the site," the golden blonde said with a reassuring tone, then drew the sample quickly and hopefully painlessly. The doc prided herself on having a steady hand and good technique.

"I did my undergrad in biochemistry and microbiology before med school," she mentioned stepping over to the blood-analyzer unit next to the biobed, then placed Charlotte's sample in to be analyzed. "I guess that's why I feel so at home here in Sickbay, and doing this kind of stuff."

Picking up a PADD and reviewing all the findings, the CMO turned back to her patient with a calm and pleasant blue gaze. 

"How have you been feeling overall, Lieutenant, other than dreading to see me? Any problems or symptoms noted otherwise?"
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 08:34:10 PM by Katelyn Carter »

Chief Medical Officer
USS Horizon

Offline Bonnie Moors

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 02:41:23 AM »
Bonnie walked down the corridor towards the Sickbay on the new ship which she'd been assigned to. The assignment came as a surprise to her, a man comes into the practice and just like that offers her a position on the ship. She'd been assigned to look after the civilians on board, as if she was a good and also to look after the Starfleet crew which she'd already seen many of surely darting around and preparing for the busy take off.

She stopped for a moment, listening to everyone's thoughts as they rushed by. A mixture of excitement and nervousness. The people couldn't help but but make her feel nervous too. 'Is everything going to go as smoothly as they plan?' Bonnie asked herself as she finally her way into the Sickbay.

Sickbay

Bonnie walked into the Sickbay and observed the few people around her. She paused at a desk, placing her small bag onto the desk and the PADD which contained her assignment. She ran her fingers through her hair and then looked for the person who was in charge. Noting that the woman was busy, she chose to wait by the table.

She never experienced anything like this, it was different to anything she imagined but she hoped it would be all it was hyped up to be.

Dr. Bonnie Moors
Civilian Doctor
USS Horizon
Click image to view bio.

Offline Charlotte Brown

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 05:17:44 AM »
"Stellar cartography must be well stellar to study... sorry really no pun intended there," Kate chuckled softly as she finished up with the body scan. She put the hand scanner and medical tricorder down on the a side table, then picked up an instrument for a blood screening.

"If you'll extend your arm out for me please and push up your sleeve a bit, I'll just grab a small amount of your blood... You shouldn't feel a thing other than pressure at the site," the golden blonde said with a reassuring tone, then drew the sample quickly and hopefully painlessly. The doc prided herself on having a steady hand and good technique.

"I did my undergrad in biochemistry and microbiology before med school," she mentioned stepping over to the blood-analyzer unit next to the biobed, then placed Charlotte's sample in to be analyzed. "I guess that's why I feel so at home here in Sickbay, and doing this kind of stuff."

Picking up a PADD and reviewing all the findings, the CMO turned back to her patient with a calm and pleasant blue gaze. 

"How have you been feeling overall, Lieutenant, other than dreading to see me? Any problems or symptoms noted otherwise?"

Charlotte couldn't help but grin at Dr Carter's response again it reminded her of something a friend once said and relaxed a little bit more as she finished with the body scan. " It's okay there's quite a few puns I use for what I do " she replied extending her arm out as requested. She nodded when told what to expect and didn't feel a thing as her blood was taken yet was relieved once it was over.

She understood what Dr Carter meant when she spoke about the subjects she studied at Med School and how at home she felt being in Sickbay. " I know what you mean its also how I feel being in the Astrometrics Lab, its almost like my inner sanctuary " she said noticing another woman enter Sickbay and offered her a smile before answering the next question. " I've been feeling okay, no problems or anything and as for dreading coming here, it stems from an accident I had as a teenager but you've definitely put me more at ease since coming here ".

Chief Science Officer
USS Gibson

Offline Katelyn Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 01:33:47 PM »
Bonnie walked down the corridor towards the Sickbay on the new ship which she'd been assigned to. The assignment came as a surprise to her, a man comes into the practice and just like that offers her a position on the ship. She'd been assigned to look after the civilians on board, as if she was a good and also to look after the Starfleet crew which she'd already seen many of surely darting around and preparing for the busy take off.

She stopped for a moment, listening to everyone's thoughts as they rushed by. A mixture of excitement and nervousness. The people couldn't help but but make her feel nervous too. 'Is everything going to go as smoothly as they plan?' Bonnie asked herself as she finally her way into the Sickbay.

Sickbay

Bonnie walked into the Sickbay and observed the few people around her. She paused at a desk, placing her small bag onto the desk and the PADD which contained her assignment. She ran her fingers through her hair and then looked for the person who was in charge. Noting that the woman was busy, she chose to wait by the table.

She never experienced anything like this, it was different to anything she imagined but she hoped it would be all it was hyped up to be.

Out of the corner of her eye, Kate noticed a young silver-haired woman walk into Sickbay. She was dressed in civilian attire and seemed a bit in awe looking around the ship's state of the art medical facilities. Was she the last minute addition to her team? The petite doctor's blue gaze and full attention went back to her patient sitting on the biobed. The physical was essentially finished, she just needed to wrap it up.

Charlotte couldn't help but grin at Dr Carter's response again it reminded her of something a friend once said and relaxed a little bit more as she finished with the body scan. " It's okay there's quite a few puns I use for what I do " she replied extending her arm out as requested. She nodded when told what to expect and didn't feel a thing as her blood was taken yet was relieved once it was over.

She understood what Dr Carter meant when she spoke about the subjects she studied at Med School and how at home she felt being in Sickbay. " I know what you mean its also how I feel being in the Astrometrics Lab, its almost like my inner sanctuary " she said noticing another woman enter Sickbay and offered her a smile before answering the next question. " I've been feeling okay, no problems or anything and as for dreading coming here, it stems from an accident I had as a teenager but you've definitely put me more at ease since coming here ".

"Oh I see...  I'm glad I could make your experience a better one then," Kate smiled sincerely. "Well Lieutenant Ingram, everything seems to be in order and you're good for another year. Please though if anything should change in the meantime, don't hesitate to come back. You may ask for me directly, if that would make you more comfortable. You're free to go now," the golden blonde nodded.

She closed out the CSO's patient chart on the PADD with her final determination, then turned to walk over to the table where the new person was waiting wearing her Starfleet issued teal-colored uniform with a matching over coat.

"Hello... Sorry to keep you waiting. I'm Doctor Carter, the Horizon's Chief Medical Officer. Are you Doctor Moors by chance?" 

Chief Medical Officer
USS Horizon

Offline Charlotte Brown

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 01:43:45 PM »
Out of the corner of her eye, Kate noticed a young silver-haired woman walk into Sickbay. She was dressed in civilian attire and seemed a bit in awe looking around the ship's state of the art medical facilities. Was she the last minute addition to her team? The petite doctor's blue gaze and full attention went back to her patient sitting on the biobed. The physical was essentially finished, she just needed to wrap it up.

"Oh I see...  I'm glad I could make your experience a better one then," Kate smiled sincerely. "Well Lieutenant Ingram, everything seems to be in order and you're good for another year. Please though if anything should change in the meantime, don't hesitate to come back. You may ask for me directly, if that would make you more comfortable. You're free to go now," the golden blonde nodded.

She closed out the CSO's patient chart on the PADD with her final determination, then turned to walk over to the table where the new person was waiting wearing her Starfleet issued teal-colored uniform with a matching over coat.

"Hello... Sorry to keep you waiting. I'm Doctor Carter, the Horizon's Chief Medical Officer. Are you Doctor Moors by chance?" 

" Thank you and I will " Charlotte replied before Doctor Carter finished with her and gently got down from the bio bed as she went over to introduce herself to the newcomer. Charlotte certainly a lot better than she had when she first arrived and wouldn't hesitate contacting Doctor Carter if anything happened or changed with her health. Not wanting to interrupt she quietly walked out of Sickbay and once outside its door decided where she wanted to be and thought it was time for her to check out the science station on the Bridge before returning to her quarters.

>> Next post the Bridge >>

Chief Science Officer
USS Gibson

Offline Bonnie Moors

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2017, 05:07:09 PM »
Sickbay

Bonnie picked up the PADD she had placed beside her. She read the contents and then re read it, taking in all the contents and then placing it back down. She begun to observe the blonde woman as she did the check up on the other woman. She ran her fingers through her hair again, picking the PADD up and then looking at her attire. 'Why do they make me wear this? Bonnie thought, rubbing her hand over the space where the rank pips would be. 'They could at least allow me to wear what I want. The fact that she wasn't allowed to join Starfleet and they forced her to wear the uniform felt like mockery. However, she wouldn't let anyone know that.

Bonnie's attention was taken by the small blonde woman who stopped in front of her, and introduced herself.

"That would be me." Bonnie smiled towards the woman, turning around and picking up the PADD and then turning once again to face the woman. "I am Dr. Bonnie Moors. It's a pleasure to meet you." Bonnie paused for a moment, looking at the contents of the PADD and then continuing. "May we continue this in your office?" Bonnie looked down and frowned. 'Should I really tell her about all of this?'

Dr. Bonnie Moors
Civilian Doctor
USS Horizon
Click image to view bio.

Offline Katelyn Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2017, 08:28:52 PM »
Sickbay

Bonnie picked up the PADD she had placed beside her. She read the contents and then re read it, taking in all the contents and then placing it back down. She begun to observe the blonde woman as she did the check up on the other woman. She ran her fingers through her hair again, picking the PADD up and then looking at her attire. 'Why do they make me wear this? Bonnie thought, rubbing her hand over the space where the rank pips would be. 'They could at least allow me to wear what I want. The fact that she wasn't allowed to join Starfleet and they forced her to wear the uniform felt like mockery. However, she wouldn't let anyone know that.

Bonnie's attention was taken by the small blonde woman who stopped in front of her, and introduced herself.

"That would be me." Bonnie smiled towards the woman, turning around and picking up the PADD and then turning once again to face the woman. "I am Dr. Bonnie Moors. It's a pleasure to meet you." Bonnie paused for a moment, looking at the contents of the PADD and then continuing. "May we continue this in your office?" Bonnie looked down and frowned. 'Should I really tell her about all of this?'

Main Sickbay

The solid black irises of the silver-haired young woman gave her away as a Betazoid. It mattered not to Kate what species she was, but more so how good of a clinician she was. Starfleet was very short on doctors. The war had taken some of the best from them, one being her fiancé at the time; a fellow Starfleet officer, who had been on the USS Olympus with her when it was destroyed.

"Of course," Dr. Carter replied with a polite smile, then added. "My office is located just off the medical lab. This is the nurse's workstation in the main care area of our Sickbay, and that..." She pointed to a desk with a bank of monitors behind it as they passed by. "will be yours when on duty."

CMO's Office

After they entered Kate's office, the golden blonde slipped around to the back side of the desk and sat down in the high backed chair, then motioned for Bonnie to do the same in one of the front guest chairs.

"May I take a look at your orders I presume you have there... " The petite doctor's kind blue gaze went to the PADD the civilian had on her person that she seemed to be fiddling with as well as the Starfleet uniform. Oh what Kate wouldn't give to wear some scrubs and a comfy pair of Danska shoes to work in!

She perused over the PADD thoughtfully for a moment, then put it down upon the desk top and relaxed back into the chair with hands clasped casually on her lap.

"To be honest, Dr. Moors, I've never had the pleasure of working side by side with a civilian doctor before, though I have a Betazoid... My first CMO was one. He was a very good clinician. Now if you wouldn't mind sharing with me a little about yourself and your professional training, I can get a better idea of how we may work together in the most effective manner?"

« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 08:44:47 PM by Katelyn Carter »

Chief Medical Officer
USS Horizon

Offline Bonnie Moors

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2017, 02:36:12 AM »
Main Sickbay

The solid black irises of the silver-haired young woman gave her away as a Betazoid. It mattered not to Kate what species she was, but more so how good of a clinician she was. Starfleet was very short on doctors. The war had taken some of the best from them, one being her fiancé at the time; a fellow Starfleet officer, who had been on the USS Olympus with her when it was destroyed.

"Of course," Dr. Carter replied with a polite smile, then added. "My office is located just off the medical lab. This is the nurse's workstation in the main care area of our Sickbay, and that..." She pointed to a desk with a bank of monitors behind it as they passed by. "will be yours when on duty."

CMO's Office

After they entered Kate's office, the golden blonde slipped around to the back side of the desk and sat down in the high backed chair, then motioned for Bonnie to do the same in one of the front guest chairs.

"May I take a look at your orders I presume you have there... " The petite doctor's kind blue gaze went to the PADD the civilian had on her person that she seemed to be fiddling with as well as the Starfleet uniform. Oh what Kate wouldn't give to wear some scrubs and a comfy pair of Danska shoes to work in!

She perused over the PADD thoughtfully for a moment, then put it down upon the desk top and relaxed back into the chair with hands clasped casually on her lap.

"To be honest, Dr. Moors, I've never had the pleasure of working side by side with a civilian doctor before, though I have a Betazoid... My first CMO was one. He was a very good clinician. Now if you wouldn't mind sharing with me a little about yourself and your professional training, I can get a better idea of how we may work together in the most effective manner?"

Sickbay

Bonnie nodded towards the doctor and followed her through the Sickbay. She continued to look around the room, trying to take in everything she could and get a headstart on everything. She followed Dr Carter into the office and sat down opposite her.

CMO's Office

"Know more about me?" Bonnie paused for a moment. She didn't like people to know about her past, she didn't even like her own past.

"Well... When I was born, I was born as a strong telepathic despite being half human. My father left me and my mother when I was young. My mother left me when I was 16 at an orphanage." She paused for a moment and frowned. "Just about everybody leaves me. I place bets on the ship abandoning me too."

Bonnie looked back up at the woman and begun to talk about her professional career. "As for my ability as a doctor, I spent two years in general practice and before that, four years in university training. Now I'm here." Bonnie finished.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 12:43:38 PM by Bonnie Moors »

Dr. Bonnie Moors
Civilian Doctor
USS Horizon
Click image to view bio.