Author Topic: New Horizon's - Medical Area.  (Read 1597 times)

Offline Bonnie Moors

• View Profile
Re: New Horizon's - Medical Area.
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2017, 05:10:58 PM »
CMO's Office

Kate's blue gaze perused thoughtfully over the report sent to her from the CMO at Starfleet Medical regarding the recently promoted Captain John Brown, who would be taking the place of Captain Hunter as the CO of the USS Horizon.

Hunter had seemingly stepped down from the command chair for personal reasons, and had since returned to Earth to take a teaching position at the Starfleet Academy. Dr. Grant had given Brown a clean bill of health with the caveat he still be monitored for any reoccurrence of his previous condition, which would make him unfit for command. That was something Dr. Errikkson would of course monitor as their three year mission commenced forward. She would also be watching the health and welfare of all the crew as that was her duty as the Chief Medical Officer of the ship.

Sickbay

Bonnie looked up at the CMO from her desk and looked back down to the padd at her desk. She bit the bottom of her lip and sighed to herself. She'd been putting off requesting counseling while they'd been busy and Bonnie realised that it wouldn't fix itself. She needed to make an effort to fix it. Bonnie looked around the room for a moment, sensing a whole array of different feelings in the room. A feeling of pain, boredom, confusion.

Bonnie looked down at the padd and picked it up, walking over to the CMO's office and stopping just before the door. 'Does she really need this on her plate?' Bonnie u-turned for a moment, biting her bottom lip once again and sighing, she put her hands over her face and shook her head slightly. "Just do it." Bonnie said to herself, looking back up and entering, knowing that Kate wouldn't mind when she knew the nature of Bonnie's entrance.

CMO's Office

"Katelyn," She paused for a moment. "err, doctor Carter. I need to talk to you about a little problem I have. I'm not sure if you've already read my medical file, and if you have you'll know I'm barred from Starfleet." Bonnie placed the padd requesting counseling down onto the table. It contained details about her schizophrenia and her request for counseling. "I have schizophrenia, doctor. It's not going anywhere doctor." She pointed back down to the padd again and looked up to see the doctors reply. "If I could've joined Starfleet, trust me, I would've." Bonnie finished.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 05:21:04 PM by Bonnie Moors »

Dr. Bonnie Moors
Civilian Doctor
USS Horizon
Click image to view bio.

Offline Katelyn Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2017, 09:07:42 PM »
Sickbay

Bonnie looked up at the CMO from her desk and looked back down to the padd at her desk. She bit the bottom of her lip and sighed to herself. She'd been putting off requesting counseling while they'd been busy and Bonnie realised that it wouldn't fix itself. She needed to make an effort to fix it. Bonnie looked around the room for a moment, sensing a whole array of different feelings in the room. A feeling of pain, boredom, confusion.

Bonnie looked down at the padd and picked it up, walking over to the CMO's office and stopping just before the door. 'Does she really need this on her plate?' Bonnie u-turned for a moment, biting her bottom lip once again and sighing, she put her hands over her face and shook her head slightly. "Just do it." Bonnie said to herself, looking back up and entering, knowing that Kate wouldn't mind when she knew the nature of Bonnie's entrance.

CMO's Office

"Katelyn," She paused for a moment. "err, doctor Carter. I need to talk to you about a little problem I have. I'm not sure if you've already read my medical file, and if you have you'll know I'm barred from Starfleet." Bonnie placed the padd requesting counseling down onto the table. It contained details about her schizophrenia and her request for counseling. "I have schizophrenia, doctor. It's not going anywhere doctor." She pointed back down to the padd again and looked up to see the doctors reply. "If I could've joined Starfleet, trust me, I would've." Bonnie finished.

CMO's Office

At the sound of her name, the CMO raised her golden head and blue gaze went to her associate standing in the doorway of the office. The look on the civilian doctor's face and the way she stammered if must be something pretty important more so on a personal nature than professional she gaged.

A friendly smile graced her lips as the young woman was motioned in to take a seat. Kate listened thoughtfully as Dr. Moors started to ramble on about her problem. How had she missed it? The signs, the symptoms of this major mental disorder. Either the female Betazoid was able to mask the condition well or it was managed on meds that keep things on an even keel. What amazed Dr. Carter most was that Starfleet Medical had not seen fit to adviser her on this issue. Obviously this was on a need to know basis and the Lieutenant Commander's rank did not give her clearance to Bonnie's complete file.

"I see... Well that can certainly be arranged for you, Bonnie, and I encourage you to do so wholeheartedly," Kate nodded reassuringly, then added.  "I only wished I'd known earlier so I could help you over the last six months. How have you been feeling lately?"

Lieutenant Commander Dr. Katelyn Carter
Chief Medical Officer
USS Horizon

Offline Katelyn Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2017, 10:24:38 PM »
>>> In CMO's Office>>>

Katelyn held up her finger for a moment for Dr. Moors to hold her reply as they were in the middle of a conversation, then she pushed the comm button on her desk.

"This is Dr. Carter. Sickbay is ready for departure."

After acknowledging the XO, the petite doctor's blue gaze went back to her young  associate, and she offered a smile of encouragement.

"My apologies, Bonnie. Please continue."

Chief Medical Officer
USS Horizon

Offline Bonnie Moors

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2017, 06:05:47 PM »
Bonnie could sense the anger the chief had about the situation. Bonnie could only guess why but she figured it might have been because Bonnie had dropped it on her now of all time. Bonnie was aware of the situation with the new captain. "I've been feeling fine. I just haven't had the chance to tell you because we've been so busy given it has been the first voyage." She paused for a moment looking down at the PADD and back up at Katelyn. "As I said, I feel fine. It doesn't affect me at all, but the fact that it's there is enough for me to try and stop this." She paused again and sighed heavily. "It stopped me from get into Starfleet. I'm not letting it stop me from doing anything else. Not anymore." Bonnie paused.

"I'm thinking of getting back into contact with my father. I found him, but I'm not sure how he'll react with the fact that I've returned back into his life." Bonnie's brow furrowed in anger. "God, I'm not sure if he'll even remember me anymore. I sure as hell would do my best at forgetting someone if I abandoned them." The whole situation had Bonnie wrapped up in knots. She wanted to get into contact with her father once again to rebuild the relationship she never had with her parents, but she wasn't sure if she could forgive them. She wasn't even sure if she was ready to talk to them, she guessed they'd probably do their best to leave her again.

"I'd like to make my own family some day, I'd never want to end up like my parents and I'm not sure what the chances of the child having the 'gift' would be. I'm only fifty percent Betazoid after all, and look how I turned out." Bonnie finished, with another large sigh.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 06:20:06 PM by Bonnie Moors »

Dr. Bonnie Moors
Civilian Doctor
USS Horizon
Click image to view bio.

Offline Katelyn Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2017, 06:11:10 PM »
Bonnie could sense the anger the chief had about the situation. Bonnie could only guess why but she figured it might have been because Bonnie had dropped it on her now of all time. Bonnie was aware of the situation with the new captain. "I've been feeling fine. I just haven't had the chance to tell you because we've been so busy given it has been the first voyage." She paused for a moment looking down at the PADD and back up at Katelyn. "As I said, I feel fine. It doesn't affect me at all, but the fact that it's there is enough for me to try and stop this." She paused again and sighed heavily. "It stopped me from get into Starfleet. I'm not letting it stop me from doing anything else. Not anymore." Bonnie paused.

"I'm thinking of getting back into contact with my father. I found him, but I'm not sure how he'll react with the fact that I've returned back into his life." Bonnie's brow furrowed in anger. "God, I'm not sure if he'll even remember me anymore. I sure as hell would do my best at forgetting someone if I abandoned them." The whole situation had Bonnie wrapped up in knots. She wanted to get into contact with her father once again to rebuild the relationship she never had with her parents, but she wasn't sure if she could forgive them. She wasn't even sure if she was ready to talk to them, she guessed they'd probably do their best to leave her again.

"I'd like to make my own family some day, I'd never want to end up like my parents and I'm not sure what the chances of the child having the 'gift' would be. I'm only fifty percent Betazoid after all, and look how I turned out." Bonnie finished, with another large sigh.

Katelyn wasn't actually mad, just upset that this had not been brought to her attention as CMO earlier by Starfleet and/or the civilian doctor.  What if Bonnie had had a psychotic event while caring for patients? What was done was done, and thank goodness nothing had occurred. Now they could work through this issue together. As far as the young woman's clinical skills, she was well above average and Dr. Carter would hate to lose her.

"I am glad you are feeling fine, Bonnie. There are medications that we can use if you start not too. I just need you to be honest with me about your mental well being so we can nip it early rather than wait for a ticking time bomb to explode on us. Course with therapy that should help as well. You are too good of a doctor and a close associate to lose on account of time constraints," she said with all due sincerity.

"Family dealings can be hard especially if you have been estranged in any manner. Just take one step at a time. Don't rush it. As for making a family, you and your significant other will cross that bridge together if it happens. Don't let the past strangle your future happiness out of fear alone."

Chief Medical Officer
USS Horizon

Offline Bonnie Moors

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2017, 06:06:21 PM »
Katelyn wasn't actually mad, just upset that this had not been brought to her attention as CMO earlier by Starfleet and/or the civilian doctor.  What if Bonnie had had a psychotic event while caring for patients? What was done was done, and thank goodness nothing had occurred. Now they could work through this issue together. As far as the young woman's clinical skills, she was well above average and Dr. Carter would hate to lose her.

"I am glad you are feeling fine, Bonnie. There are medications that we can use if you start not too. I just need you to be honest with me about your mental well being so we can nip it early rather than wait for a ticking time bomb to explode on us. Course with therapy that should help as well. You are too good of a doctor and a close associate to lose on account of time constraints," she said with all due sincerity.

"Family dealings can be hard especially if you have been estranged in any manner. Just take one step at a time. Don't rush it. As for making a family, you and your significant other will cross that bridge together if it happens. Don't let the past strangle your future happiness out of fear alone."

"I can control it well commander. That's why I haven't come to you to sort it. Why rock the boat if you're fine and can focus on other things?However, I've realised that the voyage isn't going to be short and I need to prepare for the future. Even if I get shipped off at the end of the voyage, I'd like it to be enjoyable while I can." The comment about her effectively being a ticking time bomb hurt Bonnie a little. If she was a time bomb, surely she would've exploded by now. She had it well in her control, Bonnie thought.

"I won't rush it. I wondered if I could have a little free time in the next hour to contact him before we actually have to do something important. I understand if not but I thought now would probably be the best time to do it." Bonnie paused for a moment and looked out of the office window, observing the people and then looking back. "I saw the report on Brown. What're your thoughts on the situation?" Bonnie finished.

Dr. Bonnie Moors
Civilian Doctor
USS Horizon
Click image to view bio.

Offline Katelyn Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2017, 02:15:48 PM »
"I can control it well commander. That's why I haven't come to you to sort it. Why rock the boat if you're fine and can focus on other things?However, I've realised that the voyage isn't going to be short and I need to prepare for the future. Even if I get shipped off at the end of the voyage, I'd like it to be enjoyable while I can." The comment about her effectively being a ticking time bomb hurt Bonnie a little. If she was a time bomb, surely she would've exploded by now. She had it well in her control, Bonnie thought.

"I won't rush it. I wondered if I could have a little free time in the next hour to contact him before we actually have to do something important. I understand if not but I thought now would probably be the best time to do it." Bonnie paused for a moment and looked out of the office window, observing the people and then looking back. "I saw the report on Brown. What're your thoughts on the situation?" Bonnie finished.

CMO's Office

"Yes, that may very well be, Bonnie, but still I'd like for you to make an appointment to see Lieutenant Lewis as soon as possible to start your therapy sessions as you seemed to be very motivated to do so. Best time, hmm? She is an excellent counsellor. I think you two will get along nicely," Kate smiled, then exited out of her data station.

"As far as Captain Brown is concerned, he has been cleared by Starfleet Medical and my orders are to monitor him. That is what I will do," Dr. Carter nodded, then added as she rose from her chair from behind the desk.

"Since we have no patients at the moment, this would indeed be a good time for you to take some personal time. I will see you back here in one hour. You are dismissed until then, Dr. Moors."

>>>next post on Bridge>>>

"

Chief Medical Officer
USS Horizon

Offline Katelyn Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2017, 10:16:28 AM »

(repost)

20 Minuit es Later

Horzion is heading towards the System in Question at Warp 7; E.T.A 4 days

>>>previously on the bridge>>>

Katelyn returned to Sickbay after the ship went to warp. It was nice to be able to observe the launch from the Bridge, but now it was time to get back to work.

Since things were status quo with no patients currently, Dr. Carter decided to go into the medical lab that was attached to the main sickbay to check on some experiments she was working on. 

Chief Medical Officer
USS Horizon

Offline Game Master 1

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2017, 05:10:44 PM »
One Week Later
The Horizon is currently in orbit of an unknown planet in the Hurik System, The Captain has ordered Commander Shepard to take an away team down to the surface and investigate.

Offline Katelyn Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2017, 05:38:33 PM »
>>>previously in Captain's Ready Room>>>

Once back in Sickbay, Dr. Carter called in all the medical personal and began systematically examining them for any signs of the parasite by doing a scan with her medical tricorder and a visual check for a small tail-like appendage found at the base of the neck while two security officers stood by.

The first of the medical team to be cleared by the CMO were the morgue attendants that were ordered to retrieve Ensign Wilkerson's corpse from the Captain's ready room. They were to see to it that the deceased body was cryo-frozen so that later the Chief Science Officer and her could do an autopsy.

It was the hope that perhaps Charlotte and her would be able to find a way to rid a body of the parasite yet not kill the host, if even that was possible. Right now the only way was to use a phaser set on its highest setting as a lethal means.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 05:41:09 PM by Katelyn Carter »

Chief Medical Officer
USS Horizon

Offline Charlotte Ingram

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2017, 08:21:27 AM »
Instead of going straight to the Bridge, Charlotte had decided to check on her staff in the Main Science Lab and since she would be passing Sickbay on her way there thought to call in to see Kate and see when she wanted to assess her team for the parasites.

After being cleared by the Security guard outside she walked in through the main doors and spotted her friend although thought to wait for her to finish before approaching her.

Lieutenant Charlotte Ingram
Chief Science Officer
USS Horizon

Offline Katelyn Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2017, 06:46:16 PM »
Instead of going straight to the Bridge, Charlotte had decided to check on her staff in the Main Science Lab and since she would be passing Sickbay on her way there thought to call in to see Kate and see when she wanted to assess her team for the parasites.

After being cleared by the Security guard outside she walked in through the main doors and spotted her friend although thought to wait for her to finish before approaching her.

Katelyn was just finishing the last exam of the medical staff when the Chief Science Officer entered Sickbay. Now teams could go out systematically into the ship to check off the rest of the Horizon's crew.

The petite doctor's blue gaze looked over to Charlotte and flashed her a smile, then she made her way over to greet the brunette. There was something about her friend that was different... but the golden blonde couldn't quite put a finger on it.

"Are you feeling alright, Lieutenant Ingram? You seemed to be quite flushed," Kate inquired both on a professional and personal level just as some medical personnel walked by the two women on their way out of Sickbay. She remembered their brief conversation in the mess earlier that day. Charlotte had been pretty down in the dumps then.

Chief Medical Officer
USS Horizon

Offline Charlotte Ingram

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2017, 07:04:49 PM »
Katelyn was just finishing the last exam of the medical staff when the Chief Science Officer entered Sickbay. Now teams could go out systematically into the ship to check off the rest of the Horizon's crew.

The petite doctor's blue gaze looked over to Charlotte and flashed her a smile, then she made her way over to greet the brunette. There was something about her friend that was different... but the golden blonde couldn't quite put a finger on it.

"Are you feeling alright, Lieutenant Ingram? You seemed to be quite flushed," Kate inquired both on a professional and personal level just as some medical personnel walked by the two women on their way out of Sickbay. She remembered their brief conversation in the mess earlier that day. Charlotte had been pretty down in the dumps then.

Charlotte smiled back when her friend spotted her and as she came over and asked if she was feeling alright she wondered why she was asking that as she had never felt better. Until the proverbial penny dropped when she then mentioned that Charlotte looked quite flushed. Of course the young Brunette knew why but couldn't really say anything in public.

So as the teams of medical personnel began to file out past them she looked at her friend and replied " Do I? " she said " I feel perfectly fine in fact have never been better ". She realised that she had been feeling down earlier due to the news from home but knew she could trust Kate if the truth came out.

Chief Science Officer
USS Horizon

Offline Katelyn Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2017, 12:57:30 PM »
Charlotte smiled back when her friend spotted her and as she came over and asked if she was feeling all right she wondered why she was asking that as she had never felt better. Until the proverbial penny dropped when she then mentioned that Charlotte looked quite flushed. Of course the young Brunette knew why but couldn't really say anything in public.

So as the teams of medical personnel began to file out past them she looked at her friend and replied " Do I? " she said " I feel perfectly fine in fact have never been better ". She realised that she had been feeling down earlier due to the news from home but knew she could trust Kate if the truth came out.

Katelyn pulled out her medical tricorder and did a quick scan of the CSO as one couldn't be too careful right now, then the petite doctor raised a quizzical blondish-brown brow at her friend as she put it away. Everything was within normal limits except for the young woman's heart rate, which was a little fast but not out of the ordinary for someone excited and/or scared about something. Though, Charlotte did not appear the latter by any means.

"At some point, we are going to have to have a long talk," she nodded with a small smile. "Right now though, duty calls... Oh and by the way, I volunteered you to help me do an autopsy on the deceased ensign when time allows. I thought from a scientific side of things you'd like to see how that parasite works. Maybe we can come up with an alternative modality to get rid of the buggers without killing the host, hmm."
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 01:02:24 PM by Katelyn Carter »

Chief Medical Officer
USS Horizon

Offline Charlotte Ingram

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2017, 01:15:05 PM »
Katelyn pulled out her medical tricorder and did a quick scan of the CSO as one couldn't be too careful right now, then the petite doctor raised a quizzical blondish-brown brow at her friend as she put it away. Everything was within normal limits except for the young woman's heart rate, which was a little fast but not out of the ordinary for someone excited and/or scared about something. Though, Charlotte did not appear the latter by any means.

"At some point, we are going to have to have a long talk," she nodded with a small smile. "Right now though, duty calls... Oh and by the way, I volunteered you to help me do an autopsy on the deceased ensign when time allows. I thought from a scientific side of things you'd like to see how that parasite works. Maybe we can come up with an alternative modality to get rid of the buggers without killing the host, hmm."

Charlotte hadn't been expecting to Kate to check her over with the medical tricorder but thought it was best to just let her rather than argue and convince her that she was more than okay. But given the current situation with the parasites also didn't blame her for doing so. Wishing that her heart would return to its normal rhythm but after the unexpected personal encounter with the Captain well it might take a while for it to calm down.

Knowing that she probably wouldn't get out of this talk with Kate she agreed to it besides it would be good for them to unwind and catch up properly but she was right duty called at the moment. " Okay we'll do that plus I know that you won't let me get away without telling you " she replied smiling back before Kate mentioned volunteering her to help with the autopsy of the deceased Ensign, how she thought she might like to see the scientific side of things and how maybe they could come up with a way to get rid of them without essentially killing the host.

"You know me too well and yes I'd like to help with that and hopefully we can come up with a solution " she said " In the meantime would you like me to help with the scanning of the Science personnel ?".

Chief Science Officer
USS Horizon