Author Topic: Ship format  (Read 671 times)

Offline Bonnie Moors

• View Profile
Ship format
« on: June 18, 2017, 06:44:24 PM »
Given that command has changed on the ship, before going into the mission, I feel as though we should make a decision on the format. We've all experienced it long enough to make a decision on it. Might as well do it while we aren't far into a mission.

So could we set up a poll and see what everyone's thinking? I imagine that if we went back to the old format, we could make a season with a story arc. It'd be easier to follow and people would be more interested in it, that's just my thought though.

And how about the rest of you? What do you think?

B

Dr. Bonnie Moors
Civilian Doctor
USS Horizon
Click image to view bio.

Offline Joshua Shepard

• Executive Officer USS Horizon
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Ship format
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 07:43:51 PM »
That's a good idea. And since we officially didn't start the mission let's wait for a little bit before we open up the polls.

Commander Joshua Shepard
First Officer
USS Horizon

Offline John Brown

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 08:01:44 PM »
Given that command has changed on the ship, before going into the mission, I feel as though we should make a decision on the format. We've all experienced it long enough to make a decision on it. Might as well do it while we aren't far into a mission.

So could we set up a poll and see what everyone's thinking? I imagine that if we went back to the old format, we could make a season with a story arc. It'd be easier to follow and people would be more interested in it, that's just my thought though.

And how about the rest of you? What do you think?

B

were is an Arc format to be honest, the issue with the Season arc was 30 day missions, which rushes things the thing is we have a story that lasts until it finishes this is what most RPG's do is this format and so that's what I based it on. Personaly I like how it is now if we finish a mission that is!

Captian John Brown
Commanding Officer
U.S.S Horizon

Offline KnodwI Shepard

• Chief Engineer
  • legh alive tu'lu'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 10:03:20 PM »
were is an Arc format to be honest, the issue with the Season arc was 30 day missions, which rushes things the thing is we have a story that lasts until it finishes this is what most RPG's do is this format and so that's what I based it on. Personaly I like how it is now if we finish a mission that is!

You got to put yourself in the mind that we are doing an episode.  30 day mission to equal a one hour episode...  It can be done.   I am willing to give it a try.   Character interactions will be key in the episode. 

Lieutenant Commander KnodwI Shepard
Chief Engineer
USS Horizon

Offline John Brown

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 10:07:35 PM »
You got to put yourself in the mind that we are doing an episode.  30 day mission to equal a one hour episode...  It can be done.   I am willing to give it a try.   Character interactions will be key in the episode.

there is only one side effect; if 30 days are up the mission ends even tho loose ends are not tied up; whats why I did it by story

Captian John Brown
Commanding Officer
U.S.S Horizon

Offline KnodwI Shepard

• Chief Engineer
  • legh alive tu'lu'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 10:11:31 PM »
there is only one side effect; if 30 days are up the mission ends even tho loose ends are not tied up; whats why I did it by story

Then it go into a second part.   Think of it like "Best of Both Worlds parts one and two"

You end it on a cliff hanger then start the next arc with closing up the storyline.  Sometimes a story arc goes longer than expected...   Look at the Anime: Dragonball Z, one arc lasted almost 45 episodes.   

Chief Engineer
USS Horizon

Offline John Brown

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 10:20:09 PM »
Then it go into a second part.   Think of it like "Best of Both Worlds parts one and two"

You end it on a cliff hanger then start the next arc with closing up the storyline.  Sometimes a story arc goes longer than expected...   Look at the Anime: Dragonball Z, one arc lasted almost 45 episodes.

Yeah; now if there is consenus I would be willing to do this format again; just wanted to be more unqiue then the "other site".......

could a Story arc work in a serius of parts....just not sure on the season is all

Captian John Brown
Commanding Officer
U.S.S Horizon

Offline KnodwI Shepard

• Chief Engineer
  • legh alive tu'lu'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 10:24:42 PM »
Yeah; now if there is consenus I would be willing to do this format again; just wanted to be more unqiue then the "other site".......

could a Story arc work in a serius of parts....just not sure on the season is all

it can if the series of parts coincide with each other..  each arc can be an episode, or a two part cliff hanger.

You can use the Dominion War as an arc.   It was the last season of DS9.  That was if remember right 36  episodes.  So yes it can work.

Chief Engineer
USS Horizon

Offline Bonnie Moors

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 05:36:15 AM »

I'm not saying we have to do it in 30 days, I'm saying that if we do it the old style it is easier for new members to figure out whats going on. We're restricted in the current format because people aren't willing to read through several threads and piece together what's happening.

I preferred the old way because it was much easier to catch up on, I feel as though this is more cluttered because all of the posts are over different threads when we could just do it in one and have it all there. We could archive it and we had a mission for people to read up on so they had an idea of what is happening. If I was new, I'd be much more likely to read a mission through if it was all in one thread.

If people wanted to do a small plot with one or two people, they could in the holodeck thread and we always had crew quarters which we could post in, it gave people an idea of what our characters are thinking etc... For example, if you've read the medical thread, I was talking about contacting my IC father. If we still had crew quarters I could do that much easier but I feel as though I can't because this is purely aimed towards the ship and the mission. I understand we need to focus on a set mission, but side plots were also important too. It helped people develop their character and keep interest in their character. Even if we implemented this differently to how we used to.

It's also much harder for people to jump in mid mission. Where do they post? how do they enter? where they already on the ship and if so, why didn't anyone notice this person before hand?

If I were a new member joining, I'd be much less likely to join because of the format but hey, that's just my thoughts.

If we did the old version, it doesn't mean we have to have a set date to start a new mission. Hell, I'd rather finish a mission before starting a new one, that was something that always annoyed me on the other site. We need to keep in mind that there's only a few of us, it doesn't have to be super professional and we don't need set dates to finish missions. I only think we'd have to set dates for missions when the site gets more active and after all, if a captain wanted to they could send a request to extend the mission longer.

We could even just shorten the seasons and increase the length of missions. We have more options than just the previous season format.

For example:

You can use the Dominion War as an arc.   It was the last season of DS9.  That was if remember right 36  episodes.  So yes it can work.

Like this one. Thank you mr Shepard! :)

We can think of other things too, not just a format but something else. I understand your issue but we need to forget about the other site and focus on the path ahead. What's going to be best for the development of the site and how can we implement that to encourage people to join the site?

But we don't need to change the ship because we're changing format, we've changed ships enough over the past month.

Finally, I've only added this thread because I'm worried about how the site is going. I see people come online and not post at all. I'll admit I have done it a couple of times too, but we all need to change in order to make the site look more appealing. I see a lot of traffic from guests in and out and if we could get just a couple of those guests to join, I think it would help the site a bunch. I've sent out a couple of ads and I'll be working to make a list of places we can advertise the site. I'll keep you all updated with my progress.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 05:54:59 AM by Bonnie Moors »

Dr. Bonnie Moors
Civilian Doctor
USS Horizon
Click image to view bio.

Offline John Brown

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 08:07:37 AM »
I'm not saying we have to do it in 30 days, I'm saying that if we do it the old style it is easier for new members to figure out whats going on. We're restricted in the current format because people aren't willing to read through several threads and piece together what's happening.

I preferred the old way because it was much easier to catch up on, I feel as though this is more cluttered because all of the posts are over different threads when we could just do it in one and have it all there. We could archive it and we had a mission for people to read up on so they had an idea of what is happening. If I was new, I'd be much more likely to read a mission through if it was all in one thread.

If people wanted to do a small plot with one or two people, they could in the holodeck thread and we always had crew quarters which we could post in, it gave people an idea of what our characters are thinking etc... For example, if you've read the medical thread, I was talking about contacting my IC father. If we still had crew quarters I could do that much easier but I feel as though I can't because this is purely aimed towards the ship and the mission. I understand we need to focus on a set mission, but side plots were also important too. It helped people develop their character and keep interest in their character. Even if we implemented this differently to how we used to.

It's also much harder for people to jump in mid mission. Where do they post? how do they enter? where they already on the ship and if so, why didn't anyone notice this person before hand?

If I were a new member joining, I'd be much less likely to join because of the format but hey, that's just my thoughts.

If we did the old version, it doesn't mean we have to have a set date to start a new mission. Hell, I'd rather finish a mission before starting a new one, that was something that always annoyed me on the other site. We need to keep in mind that there's only a few of us, it doesn't have to be super professional and we don't need set dates to finish missions. I only think we'd have to set dates for missions when the site gets more active and after all, if a captain wanted to they could send a request to extend the mission longer.

We could even just shorten the seasons and increase the length of missions. We have more options than just the previous season format.

For example:

Like this one. Thank you mr Shepard! :)

We can think of other things too, not just a format but something else. I understand your issue but we need to forget about the other site and focus on the path ahead. What's going to be best for the development of the site and how can we implement that to encourage people to join the site?

But we don't need to change the ship because we're changing format, we've changed ships enough over the past month.

Finally, I've only added this thread because I'm worried about how the site is going. I see people come online and not post at all. I'll admit I have done it a couple of times too, but we all need to change in order to make the site look more appealing. I see a lot of traffic from guests in and out and if we could get just a couple of those guests to join, I think it would help the site a bunch. I've sent out a couple of ads and I'll be working to make a list of places we can advertise the site. I'll keep you all updated with my progress.

Yeah, I like keeping us as professional as possible as for the Seasons i was talking with KnodwI last night on Skype; and  from that conversation the term "Season" dos'nt really fit we can have one large Story and we separate it into parts which in the  end would be like the season I am willing to do the mission length.

Now for the second part of it as of the Ship format now this is the part were i going to have some disagreements with people on. Now with the current format we are separated into sections for it to be more orgnized and it stops the confustion of Location tags that pepole conduct and honestly most do'nt so Mike came up with this idea and it works and the issue with the old format as you say pepole use "Holodeck" that way I have found made pepole not want to post in the mission while having the different sections they can post to there heart's content and still be part of the mission storyline.now the flaw with the old format is such let say as an example both you and Doctor Carter post in sickbay and it comes to be 5 pages worth of posts; and let say Josh and JB posts in the ready room another 5 pages of posts; now we have  KnodwI who comes on and now has to wade though 10 pages of posts and figure out what happened in the mission this can cause confustion; Yes I agree the new format can be confusing at times but as a mission whole it is less of an confusion; also if we were to go back to the old format it would take me many hours to reorgnize the boards; might take me an entire weekend and have the forum locked for me to do it; personally I do'nt want to do this but if pepole want to I would do it do'nt want to but I would.

Captian John Brown
Commanding Officer
U.S.S Horizon

Offline Charlotte Ingram

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 09:04:59 AM »
I can see everyone's point of view but personally I prefer this layout I find it easy to catch up on the threads to find out where i need to be and it doesn't clog up page after page of the main mission and remember location tags. As for the season or story arc I agree we can carry on and not stop after 30 days have a different episode once one is complete or carry it on. I appreciate the amount of time and effort that's gone into setting us up and having a fresh start so I say lets keep going and still make this site great.

Lieutenant Charlotte Ingram
Chief Science Officer
USS Horizon

Offline Bonnie Moors

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 09:07:15 AM »
Yeah, I like keeping us as professional as possible as for the Seasons i was talking with KnodwI last night on Skype; and  from that conversation the term "Season" dos'nt really fit we can have one large Story and we separate it into parts which in the  end would be like the season I am willing to do the mission length.

Now for the second part of it as of the Ship format now this is the part were i going to have some disagreements with people on. Now with the current format we are separated into sections for it to be more orgnized and it stops the confustion of Location tags that pepole conduct and honestly most do'nt so Mike came up with this idea and it works and the issue with the old format as you say pepole use "Holodeck" that way I have found made pepole not want to post in the mission while having the different sections they can post to there heart's content and still be part of the mission storyline.now the flaw with the old format is such let say as an example both you and Doctor Carter post in sickbay and it comes to be 5 pages worth of posts; and let say Josh and JB posts in the ready room another 5 pages of posts; now we have  KnodwI who comes on and now has to wade though 10 pages of posts and figure out what happened in the mission this can cause confustion; Yes I agree the new format can be confusing at times but as a mission whole it is less of an confusion; also if we were to go back to the old format it would take me many hours to reorgnize the boards; might take me an entire weekend and have the forum locked for me to do it; personally I do'nt want to do this but if pepole want to I would do it do'nt want to but I would.

I see where you're coming form but I disagree. That's what the point in the discussion thread was and the only reason people would get confused was because they never read the discussion tag. I can understand how it'd be confusing if people put the tags at the bottom of their posts but I think it's just as simple if the person put who they're tagging and on what page in a discussion thread. Seems simple enough to me.

I also understand where you're coming from with the holodecks but we've never had problems with that and the only reason the holodecks would look more active was because other people on the ship were making the ship inactive.

We can still find a name other than seasons. :)

I can't comment on reshuffling as I have no part in that. However, I can understand how it'd take a long time and appreciate all the work you do. :)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 09:09:36 AM by Bonnie Moors »

Dr. Bonnie Moors
Civilian Doctor
USS Horizon
Click image to view bio.

Offline John Brown

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 09:15:41 AM »
I see where you're coming form but I disagree. That's what the point in the discussion thread was and the only reason people would get confused was because they never read the discussion tag. I can understand how it'd be confusing if people put the tags at the bottom of their posts but I think it's just as simple if the person put who they're tagging and on what page in a discussion thread. Seems simple enough to me.

I also understand where you're coming from with the holodecks but we've never had problems with that and the only reason the holodecks would look more active was because other people on the ship were making the ship inactive.

We can still find a name other than seasons. :)

I can't comment on reshuffling as I have no part in that. However, I can understand how it'd take a long time and appreciate all the work you do. :)

okay now I think you missing my point it's not just the Location tags; basicaly here is the point of what I am saying is this;

old format; All posts are together; so will you tell pepole if they want to character devlop in mess hall during mission they are not allowed and have to do holodeck?; this was the point of the new format to give pepole the opening to character develop and allow it to be seperated and part of the same mission

Captian John Brown
Commanding Officer
U.S.S Horizon

Offline Bonnie Moors

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 09:24:17 AM »
okay now I think you missing my point it's not just the Location tags; basicaly here is the point of what I am saying is this;

old format; All posts are together; so will you tell pepole if they want to character devlop in mess hall during mission they are not allowed and have to do holodeck?; this was the point of the new format to give pepole the opening to character develop and allow it to be seperated and part of the same mission

There's still an opportunity to develop in mission. That's the whole point of having longer missions. We can still do that with the older format, it doesn't make a difference.

Dr. Bonnie Moors
Civilian Doctor
USS Horizon
Click image to view bio.

Offline John Brown

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 09:28:19 AM »
There's still an opportunity to develop in mission. That's the whole point of having longer missions. We can still do that with the older format, it doesn't make a difference.

yeah but you got to realize that if people would want to move back to the old format it would take 3 days to do it; if I have time to do it as is, as it takes work to re organize the forum and basically rebuilt from scratch if you want it that way so could take me 40+ hours to work ; and i am really not wanting to do this unless I have to as I got to do this by myself without help

Captian John Brown
Commanding Officer
U.S.S Horizon