Author Topic: New Site  (Read 504 times)

Offline 8th Fleet

• Administrator
    • View Profile
New Site
« on: April 18, 2017, 05:24:55 PM »
Hello All,

As reflected on the old site and as part of our 1st year anniversary, we hereby present to you our new site.  We have tried to keep it for the most part familiar, with some obvious changes to the style of the SIMM boards, further information on this style will be provided soon.

With this new site, which is installed on a server owned by Richard, we can hope to see more stability and above all a much better experience all together.

If you have any suggestions to add to the mix, please let's have them and we will attempt to answer them asap.  Please beware that there is still a lot of work to do and as such things may be missed.  Your help in bringing any of these to light is appreciated.  We are excited to see how our latest improvement will add to the future of this great fleet.

Please be aware that those of you who are moving across, your standings have not changed and your positions are quite safe.

Thank You All
Signed
The Site Admins.

Offline Kira Wyman

• View Profile
Re: New Site
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 05:39:36 PM »
Hello there, this is all very exciting!

I have one question with the new format. How is every mission going to work given the new format? When we switch room and create a new thread, we are going to have an abundance of threads to archive and how will quoting work? Etc...

I feel as though if we were going to do this format, we should just do it on the SB and keep the traditional format for the others.

But hey, I'm staying either way and I'm open to other opinions!

And will a recent post board be at the bottom? That was particularly useful! :)

Kira
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 05:42:13 PM by Kira Wyman »

LT Kira Wyman
CURRENTLY ON LEAVE

Click on my image to view my Bio!

Offline 8th Fleet

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 05:54:19 PM »
Hello there, this is all very exciting!

I have one question with the new format. How is every mission going to work given the new format? When we switch room and create a new thread, we are going to have an abundance of threads to archive and how will quoting work? Etc...

I feel as though if we were going to do this format, we should just do it on the SB and keep the traditional format for the others.

But hey, I'm staying either way and I'm open to other opinions!

And will a recent post board be at the bottom? That was particularly useful! :)

Kira

It's really quite a simple way of doing things, you should be able to get use to it relatively quickly.  Each area will eventually have a header from this account and the players will be able to reply once that thread is in use.

As for switching from one to another, it is quite simple.  Lets say Kira is told to fly a shuttle to Risa and at that moment she is on the bridge.  She should post her actions on the bridge, which usually ends with words to the effect of exiting.  After which at the bottom of the post, you can do one of tho things.  It's very much like using a location tag at the top of a post.

==Next Post Main Shuttlebay==
Or
>>Main Shuttlebay>>

Then when you post in the shuttlebay, you would do similar to a location tag again, but at the top of the post!

==Previously on the bridge==
>>Bridge>>

Quoting from player to player will not change.  However I think you mean if you was talking to someone in a different room?  If so you can still copy the quote and paste it in their room, though I would only quote the actual speech or action part of the post (Sending a file for example).

Another way if you are talking to the character verbally, do so normally with "customary speech marks" and if you when you post the communication on the receiving room, use [These] instead of "" at either end of the message.

Trust me its a lot easier than you think and should cut down on waiting time hopefully :)

Offline Kira Wyman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 05:59:15 PM »
It's really quite a simple way of doing things, you should be able to get use to it relatively quickly.  Each area will eventually have a header from this account and the players will be able to reply once that thread is in use.

As for switching from one to another, it is quite simple.  Lets say Kira is told to fly a shuttle to Risa and at that moment she is on the bridge.  She should post her actions on the bridge, which usually ends with words to the effect of exiting.  After which at the bottom of the post, you can do one of tho things.  It's very much like using a location tag at the top of a post.

==Next Post Main Shuttlebay==
Or
>>Main Shuttlebay>>

Then when you post in the shuttlebay, you would do similar to a location tag again, but at the top of the post!

==Previously on the bridge==
>>Bridge>>

Quoting from player to player will not change.  However I think you mean if you was talking to someone in a different room?  If so you can still copy the quote and paste it in their room, though I would only quote the actual speech or action part of the post (Sending a file for example).

Another way if you are talking to the character verbally, do so normally with "customary speech marks" and if you when you post the communication on the receiving room, use [These] instead of "" at either end of the message.

Trust me its a lot easier than you think and should cut down on waiting time hopefully :)

Right, so when I'm posting I would just quote in that area what I am replying and then next post in the room I'm actually in?

K

LT Kira Wyman
CURRENTLY ON LEAVE

Offline 8th Fleet

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 06:00:51 PM »
Right, so when I'm posting I would just quote in that area what I am replying and then next post in the room I'm actually in?

K

Ok let's do a demonstration.

Follow my lead on the station, Kira is on the promenade and I will be in ops.

Offline Kira Wyman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 06:01:53 PM »
Ok let's do a demonstration.

Follow my lead on the station, Kira is on the promenade and I will be in ops.

Cool, let's go!

LT Kira Wyman
CURRENTLY ON LEAVE

Offline Kira Wyman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 06:48:12 PM »
The notorious double post! ;)

Sorry for having so many questions...
Can we have an awards mod?..... Please!
---Once everything is established--

LT Kira Wyman
CURRENTLY ON LEAVE

Offline 8th Fleet

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 06:52:15 PM »
The notorious double post! ;)

Sorry for having so many questions...
Can we have an awards mod?..... Please!
---Once everything is established--

I would say a definite yes to that Kira, there will be a post going up in the next day or so that will be specifically catered for suggestions.  Be easier to keep track that way :)

Offline Kira Wyman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 06:53:05 PM »
I would say a definite yes to that Kira, there will be a post going up in the next day or so that will be specifically catered for suggestions.  Be easier to keep track that way :)

Great! I'll be sure to add some!

LT Kira Wyman
CURRENTLY ON LEAVE

Offline Joshua Shepard

• Executive Officer USS Horizon
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 08:49:05 PM »
Yes I'm all in favor of the"medals" awards. It shows people what we've accomplished and it also shows our appreciation to our members as well

Commander Joshua Shepard
First Officer
USS Horizon

Offline Richard Brown

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2017, 09:10:16 PM »
Yes if there is a board of suggestions I can start working on gettong these things working thr core of the new site is online just doing the minor things to add now been a busy 24 hours just let me tell you I hate DNS Name Servers lol
Richard Brown
Fleet Owner/Server Administrator